|APWH Ch. 4
Short Answer/Essay Questions
1. Assess the influence of geography on the development of early Greek civilization. Was it the most important factor influencing this development?
2. Was Mycenaean civilization more developed than that of the Minoans? Define “developed.” Why did each collapse?
3. To what degree did ideas contained in Homer’s writings influence later Greek civilization? Why do you think as you do?
4. To what degree did the events of the post Mycenaean Dark Age, in comparison to the impact of Homeric ideas, influence subsequent Greek development after 750 B.C.E.?
5. Compare and contrast the values, institutions, and actions of the city states of Sparta and Athens.
6. How did conflict with Persia lead to Athenian domination of Greece under Pericles? Did the aftermath of the Persian Wars really cause the decline of the city state system?
7. In your opinion, what were the most significant Greek cultural contributions to history, drama, and the arts? Why do you think as you do?
8. Are the ideas and influences of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle still the ultimate basis of Western society? Why or why not?
9. How did Greek religion and philosophy reflect and/or influence, the values and practices of ancient Greek life?
10. What ideas and cultural forms were discussed and developed by Greek dramatists and philosophers? How, and in what ways, did they constitute, or reflect, the major contributions of Greek civilization to world history?
11. What factors produced Macedon’s ascendancy on the Greek peninsula? Were they also the cause of Alexander’s conquests? Why or why not?
12. Write an assessment of Alexander the Great. How “Great” was he, actually? Why?
13. Were Epicureanism and Stoicism a continuation of “traditional” Greek thought (Socrates, Plato, and others) or were they a “new,” Hellenistic development?
14. Did the Hellenizing process, as it developed after Alexander’s death, provide Greeks and other conquered peoples with opportunities for creativity, advancement, and sharing; or was it just another example of imposed changes following a military conquest?
15. Compare and contrast the central ideas and influences of Hellenistic science and philosophy.